Two "blips" in five months

I have been on treatment for a year and I had undetectable viral loads for 7 months and then in September of 2004 my VL was 102 and my CD4 was 556. I had anther test taken 2 months later and the VL was undetectable and my CD4 was 543. My recent lab results taken in February this year showed a VL of 121 and a CD4 of 443. I am very concerned about this as I think that I may have become resisitance to the drugs. I have never skipped any of my drugs (Videx EC, Sustiva and Lamivudine taken once daily at least 2 hours before or after a meal). I feel and look very healthy apart from a bout of severe insomnia right before my last labs were taken. Should I consider taken new meds? Thank you for your help.

I understand your concern. This is not an uncommon scenario that you describe. Although a first glance it looks like you may be having concomitant CD4 decline, I would be curious to know whether the CD4 percent has also declined, or if stable, is this just some of the normal bouncing around of CD4 counts that we see. In most cases where resistance has developed we see a consistent and rising appearance of viral load results. Unfortunately, your viral load is too low to get a resistance test, which usually requires a viral load of > 1000 to get results. I think most clinicians are just carefully watching patients with your kind situation. If the viral loads are consistently present or spike higher than 500-1000, then its time to change meds.

how long for meds to help
Confused