For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Viral Load to begin meds

I have been on med vacation for 3 years. I decided with my doctor to come back on meds if my CD-4 <500 or my Viral Load > 100,000. My CD4 now is 600 and I have two results on Viral Load: PCR 61,000 and PCR Ultra 18,000. Which one has to be 100,000 to begin medication?

The ultrasensitve assay has a range of 50 to 75,000 copies. Thus, if your viral load is >100,000 you would only know in the ultrasensitive assay that the viral load is > 75,000. The standard assay has a range of 400-750,000.

lymphocyte subset quantitation
importance of t cell profile