Liver Enzymes went up

On Nov. 15th, 2004, my ALT was 75 and AST was 38. My Jan 7th blood work now yields ALT of 150 and AST is 51.

I tested positive for HIV on Nov. 5th, 2004.

My doctor told me to stop taking all of my vitamins and this HGH product I was taking as well, for a month. Then I will be getting blood work done again to see where the numbers are.

I don't drink at all, although I had a few coffes with Bailey's Irish Cream over the holidays on a couple of flights I took (2 each on 2 separate flights). I just don't see how this little bit of alcohol would have that much effect. I don't drink otherwise at all.

The only other thing I can think of is I started to eat sweet potatoes (shortly after my HIV diagnosis in November) for their Vitamin A nutient. I was eating an entire sweet potato all by myself (once per day, may have eaten about 10-12 total). I think the sweet potato I was eating equated to about 3 times the FDA's recommended daily allowance for vitamin A. That's about all I can think in terms of diet.

Any ideas?

Vitamin excess is a possible cause. I doubt it's the sweet potatoes or the alcohol. Have you been tested for hepatitis C virus infection? That may also be a possible cause.

Trying to understand lab and treatment options
HIV and mutations