Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Liver Enzymes went up
Jan 17, 2005

On Nov. 15th, 2004, my ALT was 75 and AST was 38. My Jan 7th blood work now yields ALT of 150 and AST is 51.

I tested positive for HIV on Nov. 5th, 2004.

My doctor told me to stop taking all of my vitamins and this HGH product I was taking as well, for a month. Then I will be getting blood work done again to see where the numbers are.

I don't drink at all, although I had a few coffes with Bailey's Irish Cream over the holidays on a couple of flights I took (2 each on 2 separate flights). I just don't see how this little bit of alcohol would have that much effect. I don't drink otherwise at all.

The only other thing I can think of is I started to eat sweet potatoes (shortly after my HIV diagnosis in November) for their Vitamin A nutient. I was eating an entire sweet potato all by myself (once per day, may have eaten about 10-12 total). I think the sweet potato I was eating equated to about 3 times the FDA's recommended daily allowance for vitamin A. That's about all I can think in terms of diet.

Any ideas?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Vitamin excess is a possible cause. I doubt it's the sweet potatoes or the alcohol. Have you been tested for hepatitis C virus infection? That may also be a possible cause.

Previous
Trying to understand lab and treatment options
Next
HIV and mutations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.