Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Puzzling BUN and BUN/Creatinine ratio results

Hi, Dr. Holodniy,

Thanks for all that you do for us.

HIV poz 3 years, not on meds...CD4 715, VL on Roche 1.5 <5,000 and sometimes undetectable.

My doctor told me that my recent blood test results were normal and I asked for copies for my records. On receving them, I was surprised to see that, for the first time ever, my BUN is 7 (10 to 26 range), BUN/creatinine ratio is 5.6 (range 8 to 36). Glucose a bit high (132, having had only coffee on the day of test). There was also "trace" of blood in urine.

The liver enzymes (Alk Phos, ALT, AST and Bilirubin) were basically normal, though ALT was very mildly elevated.

So,I'm really surprised that my doctor said everyhting was normal. If I were your patient, what next steps/tests would you do and what causes of the above results would you be concerned about?

Thanks so much.

A BUN of 7 is normal. You don't indicate what the creatinine level was. You do have a minimally elevated (I presume fasting) blood sugar. This is something to watch and may indicate a "prediabetic" condition. You don't indicate what the ALT value was. I assume you have been tested for hepatitis viruses like hepatitis C virus. In the presence of such an infection, it could just indicate chronic infection. In the absence of HCV, it is probably of no concern. Blood in the urine should be evaluated, as it could be related to anything from a urinary tract infection to some ongoing kidney problem.

Lymphocyte count decrease
?Immunocompromised?