Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

new strains of HIV?
Jan 8, 2005

I am a long-time survivor living with HIV for 20 years. I am frequently asked questions concerning the different strains of HIV. I'm wondering how many strains have been identified and, as time goes on, are more strains being discovered? Also does every new strain come from a mutation of HIV? Thanks for your help. You are a great source for HIV/AIDS information.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Hard question to answer because it depends on how specific you want to get. There are type strains (subtypes or clades) that go from A to J. These are somewhat geographical in origin. There are circulating recombinant forms (CRFs) which are viruses that have pieces of different subtypes. Many have been discovered and more continue to be found. These are probably as a result of new infection in someone who was already infected. Finally each patient has multiple viral strains within them. These are called quasispecies, in that they are all not a true unique strain or species, but differ by a small amount from each other.

Previous
up and down labs
Next
Hep C treatment caused disease progression??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.