Questions about effectiveness and side effects

I just found out I am hiv+ and have about 3 more weeks before I get the results of my blood work.

If I am to go on any treatment, I would like to make a well informed decision as to which meds I would take. This of course, for me, would heavily depend on research reports showing effectiveness of varying regiments, and particularly the types and severity of the side effects that a particular regiment may inflict. In other words, I would like to see well established reports of, for example, what percentage of people experience rash, or increased cholesterol, diarrhea, etc, from a particular drug. Not just some blanket statement that I have been reading that this medication causes side effect X in some people. That just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

So if you can link me up with some great information regarding this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

The current bible on HIV treatment is on the NIH website at: http://www.aidsinfo.nih.gov/. Go to the treatment guidelines section. That will give you almost all the information about recommended regimens, side effects, etc., you need. This is a living document, which changes based on new clinical trials or expert opinion.

The new drugs
replace infected blood with new fresh blood?