Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

love and different virus types?
Dec 13, 2004

I am becoming involved with another hiv+ man. He has been hiv+ for 15 years and I have been for 5 years. my virus is wild type (no resistances to any class of medications), have a viral load of 650 u/ml pretty consistently and t cells counts of 375. he has developed resistance to nukes and non-nukes, is only taking protease inhibitors, has an undetectible viral load, and t cells of 600 pretty consistently. We are planning on becomming sexually involved soon, talking about the pros and cons of not using condoms. I am wondering about the impact of his virus type to mine, if we decide to enter into a long term relationship. he's 49 and i'm 55, and we are expecting to be together, until one of us, lovingly sends the other to his final rest.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

While in love, keep your eyes open. Realize that transmission of resistant virus to someone with wildtype virus has been reported. This is called superinfection. An undetectable plasma viral load does not mean that bodily fluids are not infectious or capable of transmitting virus from lymphocytes. Given your history that he does in fact have evidence of drug resistant virus, that virus strain still exists in him despite an undetectable plasma viral load.

Previous
Something wrong.
Next
CD4 apoptosis - the way of cure ?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.