Higher CD4 in the afternoon??

Hello... I've run across a couple of studies & papers that seem to suggest that a CD4 count can be as much as twice as high if taken later in the afternoon, after a full night's rest. Is this something you have encountered & does it have any significance?

Also, is the ratio or percentage of cd4 cells a more important marker of immune function than the cd4 total alone?

That observation is correct and I have also published on this fact. This is a normal process. It can affect the interpretation of CD4 counts if the test is ordered in the morning one time and the afternoon on the next visit. The CD4 percentage is usually a more stable number over time. I am not sure one can state definitively that one value is more important than the other.

When did Hepatitis lab test names change?
CD4: 12 VL: 750,000 Help