Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Absolute Lymphocyte Count confusion
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Holodniy, I am very confused about my Absolute Lymphocyte count which stays below 2000 and 21%. My WBC is 7.1 Thous/mcL., in the high end of the range. My last Absolute Lymphocyte count was 1434, and my cd4cd8 ratio was 2.74, it never went that high before. My Neutrophils 4913 at 69.2%, Moncytes 568 at 8%, Eosinophils at 156 and 2.2%, Basophils at 28 and 0.4%. I've read that normal Lymphocyte count should be 2300, and a much higher percentage. I have been infected for 1 year, and my VL has remained <50 the entire year with no blips. My cd4's are very time of day sensitive with a 500 point swing upwards as the day progresses. I've been told that uninfected people have that great of a swing, but people who are infected fluctuate only 50-60 points during the day. By 8PM they are between 800-900. My cd8's are usually between 260 and 470, depending on the time of day, BUT my percentages remain stable, cd4's 42%-51% and cd8's always around 22%. My cd4cd8 ratio is usually around 1.75. All of my numbers are normal, and stable, and I don't seem to be progressing. It is confusing why my Absolute Lymphocyte Count never goes above 2000. Is it because my body doesn't need them because of my good immune system, and low infection, or is the HIV causing them to be low, even though I have never had a detectable viral load since during and completing seroconversion. Could the DHEA I have been taking since before I was infected be causing it? I also take several other antioxidants. The Absolute Lymphocyte count is the only count that seems off. My doctors do not believe my virus is replicating because my percentages remain stable and are not inverted. They said my numbers indicate that my body does not appear to be stressed from fighting anything, because they are all in sink accept the Absolute Lymphocyte count. Is there something they are not telling me, that I should be concerned about? Do you think I will suddenly bloom? I am scared, and am searching for answers. I am being studied by The Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center because my case is so unusual. They are limited in what they can tell me. Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Many animal studies indicate that supplemental DHEA can suppress lymphocyte growth and function. Human studies are lacking, but this could be the issue.

Previous
rezult changes during 2months
Next
Stopped medication

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.