HIv+ and low platelets

Hi, I have question in regards to low platelets and being HIV+.

I recently(week of 11/8) did my tri monthly lab work. My doctor called yesterday and told me that my platelets are in the 67,000 area. My platelets have never, ever been low.

Last week when I did my labs, I was having a bout with sinusitis, which was going into a sinus infection.

I took an anitbiotic (penicillin-to be exact) to treat the infection. Could this lead to having low platelets? I only took the antibiotic for 5 days.

Thanks for any help and info you can provide.

Low platelet counts can be the result of HIV infection, although from your history this does not seem to be the case. Penicillins and other drugs can decrease any or all of your blood cell counts, which is usually reversible after stopping the drug.

can lab counts change so fast?
t cell labs