HIV+ conversion to HIV- ??

Hi Dr. Holodyny,

I have read a lot of rubbish promoting "wonder drugs" that allegedly not only cure AIDS but convert patients to HIV- status. Members of our support group always ask what we think of the latest such claim... I have not had a satisfactory answer myself but an idea just came to me..

Is it not the case that one can never test HIV- after infection even if the person were completely cured (if that were possible)? Doesn't HIV+ result mean a presence of antibodies to the HIV? Is it not true that antibodies to viruses remain in the body forever even after cure eg. with measles? Can one therefore conclude that anyone claiming conversion is downright lying? Or am I wrong? Some expert view please. Thank you.

Still waiting for the case of a documented cure.

needing some hope!
understanding recent labs