Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T-Cell Count During Routine HIV Testing?
Nov 6, 2004

Thank you all for your ongoing help & support.

I underwent regular HIV testing for 10+ years prior to my recent diagnosis. I could have had a long history of my Tcells documented.

I understand they may fluctuate but I have to say my doctor also knew my sexual habits.

I am curious as to why there seems to be so much emphasis on what one's Tcell count is prior to HIV infection/seroconversion?

Upon my diagnosis, the big question became my Tcell count and "set-points, baseline, etc..." along with VL. I can even remember the puzzled look on her face when she mentioned not knowing my Tcell count prior to my becoming HIV+.

Many people are tested regularly for HIV before any diagnosis is ever made.

If this is based on science - If it is truly helpful in knowing one's Tcell count prior to diagnosis/seroconversion, why not measure it during routine HIV tests?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

T cell counts are not part of normal blood counts (CBC) that most of us get during routine doctor visits, or even when tested for HIV infection. The main reason is going to be cost and that insurance carriers would not cover such a cost. Thus, unless there real medical issues that require this test outside of HIV infection (like transplantation), it would be unlikely this would ever be incorporated into routine medical care prior to a HIV diagnosis.

Previous
WORRIED ABOUT RE-INFECTION??
Next
Labs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.