Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

T Cell Cloneing
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. Holodniy:

Good day to you Sir and many thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge with us. I would like to know if any US companies are currently offering T-cell cloning. That is to say, cloning an individuals T-cells and then re administering them as treatment. If so is it possible to speculate on the price of this treatment. If not, do you foresee this as a treatment option in the near future.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I don't think there are any companies that are offering this as a strategy. I am not aware of any current studies in HIV using this technique. There are however gene therapy studies, where adult stem cells from a HIV patient are harvested and a gene inserted, the cells are grown up in a test tube and then reinfused in the patient. Those cells can then differentiate and produce a protein or chemical from the gene that was inserted and disrupt HIV replication. Johnson and Johnson is currently conducting such a study at several sites in California.

Previous
Puzzled about T-cells
Next
leukemia and retrovirus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.