Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how low can cd4go during primary infection before treatment required
Aug 15, 2004

Forty days after infection I experienced seroconversion illness lasting several days. A week later, my CD4s were 807, CD8s 497. I hoped to wait a few years before starting treatment, but wanted to monitor my condition, especially in the early stages. Two weeks later, my CD4s are 410, CD8s 391. I am afraid that if my CD4s continue to drop at this rate, there will be a danger of swift progression even though I know that there may be a rebound after primary infection.

I have read that people can generally live with the virus for an average of 5 to 10 years without needing treatment. If CD4s drop into AIDS levels during primary infection, does this mean that treatment is essential, or are they likely to improve within a few months?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It would not be unusual during acute infection to see CD4 counts decline to a level such as you describe. The counts usual increase within several weeks after seroconversion. It's hard to know whether return to preinfection levels because it's rare to have people get CD4 counts before infection to know where they started from. Dropping to AIDS levels (i.e. < 200) would be unusual.

Previous
Drug Therapy and Steroids side effects
Next
Life expectancy & new treatmensts

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.