Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Effect of syphilis on CD4 count
Aug 15, 2004

I became HIV+ about a year ago. Since that time, my blood work has been done every 3 months and my CD4 count has always been around 600, give or take a little. I got a rash that the doctor believes is syphilis about 3 weeks ago. I also had my regular blood work done at that time. The results came back and my CD4 count took a big drop from 600 to 360. If the syphilis was responsible, am I likely to see a bounce back up now that it has been treated? Thanks for the help on this.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

There is not a lot of data looking at this specifically with syphilis. However, with other concomitant infections and HIV, CD4 counts can decline. I suspect with treatment your counts will return to where they were.

Previous
Off Meds, Disagree with new combo not adhereing, liver enzymes up
Next
Explain CD8 Lymphocytes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.