Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

anomalous CD4 percentage

Hi:

I'm 54yo, male, asyptomatic and infected less than 2 years. my last 3 T-cell counts (approx 3-4 mo apart) were practically identical in absolute count - about 470 - but the percentage has dropped sharply from 25% to 18%. This seems to be because my CD8's have gone into overdrive from 1000 to 1700. Viral load tending up from 40K to 70K. My CD4/CD8 ratio once holding steady at 0.5 is now suddenly 0.3

What is the significance of these high CD8 counts? If I were your patient would you be recommending I start treatment?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I read the forum regularly and have found it very helpful.

I am not sure I like the trend. You are not in any immediate danger, so another time point or two may help determine whether you settle out with a more stable set of numbers or you are continuing to see a decline. I think you are getting close to starting treatment if the trend continues. I would be more inclined to say your CD8 response is good and holding you, if your viral load were not already moderately high and trending upward.

Dr's & Lab tests
not sure what to make of labs?