I am unphenotypable. Why and how common is this?

I have been positive for 15+ years and have run through most available meds with developing resistance. I've had phenotype testing done multiple times, at different labs, and the results are always the same. My virus is "unphenotypable" which limits my doctor's ability to make informed recommendations. How common is this and what causes it? Can it be interpreted as something good (i.e. a weaker strain of virus)?

You don't indicate what your viral load level is. If it is less than 1-2,000, many labs will not do the test. If it is higher than that, there is probably some methodologic or inhibitory problem affecting their ability to get information from your virus. This is seen every once and a while and thus is not common.

The meaning of BASO abs
Genotypic vs. phenotypic