|Difference between p24 and viral load
May 15, 2004
Dr, what is the difference between a viral load and an antigen test, since both of them measure the virus itself?
Why a p24 with an negative eliza is not 100% sure whilw a negative viral load and a negative eliza are 100%..
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
A P24 antigen test measures the concentration of one protein that the virus produces during active infection. Viral load measures the amount of HIV RNA (nucleic acid) not a protein. Thus, they measure two different things or aspects of the virus.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Night Sweats Worried It Could Be HIV
- Blood In Semen After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Touching Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Dizziness After Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Protected Anal Sex Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.