Often erratic CBC elements

Can I join the others who have said what a great source of learning your forum is?! Thank you very much for that.

Anyway, I do have a question. My Labs/CBC's have been really puzzling and I would appreciate your perspectives:

Since infection 18 months ago, my red cells, hemaglobin and hematocrit have gradually slipped downwards. The rbc's finally went just below normal a few months ago, the hematocrit down to 35 (normal is 38 to 50) and hemaglobin down to 12.5 (normal would be 13.2 to 17). Then, a few months ago, rbc's, hgb and hematocrit popped just above normal...then below normal again for two CBC's and then, soared up to the pre HIV levels (18 months ago) and then back below normal.

Can you explain the porpoising of these counts? Are these elements and WBC (also regained to pre HIv level of 7 recently after slipping down to 5.6) subject to VL's? My CD4's are robust at 840, VL mostly undetectable, at worst has been <6,000.

Thank you.

I can't explain these erratic results. Usually blood counts are more stable, unless there is acute blood loss or something affecting your bone marrow production of cells, but then it wouldn't just pop back up like that.

persistant results
comment to doc