Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do removed lymph nodes advance HIV infection?
Apr 11, 2004

I hope you can help me because I am scared to death.

I tested positive for HIV in mid-March. I went in for medical care right away. My doctor says my vl is 7000 and my CD4 level is 280. I told him I tested negative for HIV as recently as December 2002, but he says my numbers indicate I have had the disease for "many years".

Before I was diagnosed, another doctor thought the swelling under my chin at my throat was a cyst or a tumor and he had it removed.

My concern is that the removal of some swollen lymph nodes may have actually hurt my cause and put me farther down the road to advanced HIV infection. How possible is the scenario I've already built up in my head?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Extremely unlikely. One presumed lymph node removal will have no impact on your immune system's capabilities to contain the virus.

Previous
Twice, huge differences between labs/T cells and Abs Lymphs a week apart
Next
Can you please elaborate on the new immune functionality test s you mentioned?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.