Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Twice, huge differences between labs/T cells and Abs Lymphs a week apart
Apr 11, 2004

Dr.Holodniy, Can you help me sort out my dramatically different labs, just a week apart?

Last week, I had my T cells done and the results was a drop in CD4's to 940, a CD4 percent of 43 (also lower) and a much lower CD4/CD8 ratio (1.1) though CD 8 numbers stayed normal. Abs Lymphs were 2,100.

Seven days later, I had my CBC done (same Lab, but CBC drawn at 1PM, two hours after the blood draw the prior week for T cells). The results were a huge difference: Lymph percent was 51 and multiplying this by the WBC's of 7.1, my Abs Lymph count was 3,621! (an increase in Abs Lymphs on 1,521 in 7 days...about 50 percent more). If I use the same 43 percent CD4 number from the prior week's T cell subset (can'timagine that the CD4 percent would change much?), the CD4 number a week later was approx 1,557 (613 more CD4 cells in a week).

This happened to me before - late last year, when my CD4's were 1,630 one week, with Abs Lymphs 3,100 and then a week later, CD4's were 1,020 and Lymphs 2,300.

Can you please help me understand the significance of these considerable fluctuation in CD4's and Abs Lymphs over one week periods? Is this normal for HIV positive or even negative people,does the huge increase signify an infection or is it a good sign of immune state? My CD4/CD8 ratio has remained at 1.1, though blipped up into the 1.7 range when I had the high numbers last year...before plunging again.

Would appreciate your perspective on what repeated such fluctuations within a week signify...if normal, does that mean someone could have 300 CD4's one week, 1,000 a week later and back to 300 a week or two after that? Do you treat with HAART in those cases?

Thanks so much.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I would not be concerned by those numbers or changes, given the relatively high CD4 count and consistency over time.

Previous
quick q's re testosterone, cortisol, immune functionality
Next
Do removed lymph nodes advance HIV infection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.