Fitness of 3TC Mutation
Apr 5, 2004
My doctor told me that the mutation that causes resistance to 3TC is a worthless mutation because it can't infect CD4 cells. Have you heard about that? I would like a second opinion.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Hmmmm... I am not sure in what context your doctor is speaking about this mutation. The M184V mutation does indeed cause 3TC (Epivir) resistance. That has been shown in the test tube and in people who have failed regimens containing this drug. The mutation has been found inside cells containing resistant virus. Virus has also been transmitted from one person to another containing this mutation.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does HIV Cause Cold Feet?
- How Likely Is It To Get HIV From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Itchy Skin After Anal Sex Condom Broke Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Penis After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Sore On Tongue After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- If A Man Pulls Out Before He Comes Can I Still Get A Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.