Too late for early treatment?

Dear Sir.

Thanks for all the informative answers You give. I learn a lot.

I was tested positive this january. The (first) lab-results i got today (from 3. march) gave vl 1500 and cd4 1200.

My doctor is somewhat uncertain if i may be inside this window of time (6-8 mth from infection) where i may benefit from early treatment.

I am not sure about time of infection (had a real bad throat and general feeling of sickness 10 days in end of august 2003. Since i came down w phase 2 syphilis in january, that incident may have been the primary s-infection as well. Last hiv-neg test was sept 2002).

My doctor will discuss the question w his collegues. What would be your advice?

Let me thank You for the answer in advance.

Yours, T

The early treatment question is still a matter of debate, and probably will not be answered in the forseeble future. The advantages are retaining your immune system. The disadvantages are the possibility of accumulating long term toxicities when starting meds too early. Given your numbers, I would not recommend treatment at this time, unless things shift dramatically in favor of the virus. Your immune system seems to be doing just fine right now.

CD4 low, VL HIGH....
Elevated Liver Enzymes