Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How high can cd4 go up
Mar 28, 2004

Dear dr Holodniy,

I was HIV diagnosted 4 years ago, with cd4 about 450, and properly infected 1 year before.

Becuse of my extreme afraid for side effects from HIV treatments, I have been a very stupid person.

I waited until two months ago, with starting the meds (Stocrin 600 mg one time and Combivor two times daily).

At that point, my cd4 was down to 16 and virus load more then 150.000.

But: I never had any HIV or AIDS related infection what so ever, even if my doctors really expected something like that and therefore checked me very often.

After one months treatment, cd4 was upp to 58 and virus down to under 50. (I will know the results of the next check in just a few days.)

And here is my question.

What is your opinion: can my low cd4 count (in theory) go up to 450 or higher; or at least to 200 ?

Of course, I understand that there is no sure things to say about this, but do you have any records: from maybe others who also have start late with meds, as me: becuse of stupidness or just lack of acknovledge of their HIV ?

For others with HIV who read this:

I stay in a European country, with totally free medicines. I have had all the support from HIV doctors and also psyciatrians, for start the treatment already more the two year ago; when my cd4 was down to 300.

But... I could not do it before. I was to afraid.

And today, after two months with treatment: no big side effects what so ever, I feel just great. Please, "you out there": dont do my mistake, start at the right time.

There was absolutly nothing to be afraid of. I promise !

And finally back again to my question, dear dr Holodniy:

Have you any records of up to how high the cd4 can recover, in a situation like this ?

Please give me just a guess, if you dont have a record.

Thanks, and keep up all the good work, with your great information channel here.

There is a lot of people here in Europe, who use this site like a bible (even if we also have splendid docs over here...)

Greatings from a winter cold Europe.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is indeed possible to have your CD4 count increase from 50 to 450. It will take some time (many months) to achieve though.

Previous
help understand my viral load
Next
Koch's postulates

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.