Mar 15, 2004
Three questions: 1)Under successful HAART with normal range CD4+ and non-detect VL, is the virus still active and replicating albeit at a very low level or is it just hanging out in reservoirs waiting for release into the peripheral system? 2)If you get a cold or other infection while on successful HAART (VL not detected) does this spike your VL because your immune system is more active? 3)With successful HAART have research labs been able to use "research" methods to see how low VL can go? Recently infected and on meds 12wks w/excellent results. Thanks!
Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. Could be both. It is certainly circulating as latent (dormant) virus inside cells. In some tissues, in some patients, ongoing viral replication can be demonstrated, despite undetectable blood plasma viral loads. 2. Not usually. 3. Yes, there are high sensitivity research only assays that get down to the 5-10 copy range. Sounds like you are doing great! Good luck.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sore Throat An Ars Symptom?
- Probability Of Getting AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute
- Bronchitis After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Licking Vagina Sign Of HIV AIDS
- After Gonorrhea Treatment If Masturbated Does The Medicine Still Work
- Frequent Watery Vaginal Discharge With Bad Odor
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.