Mar 15, 2004
Three questions: 1)Under successful HAART with normal range CD4+ and non-detect VL, is the virus still active and replicating albeit at a very low level or is it just hanging out in reservoirs waiting for release into the peripheral system? 2)If you get a cold or other infection while on successful HAART (VL not detected) does this spike your VL because your immune system is more active? 3)With successful HAART have research labs been able to use "research" methods to see how low VL can go? Recently infected and on meds 12wks w/excellent results. Thanks!
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. Could be both. It is certainly circulating as latent (dormant) virus inside cells. In some tissues, in some patients, ongoing viral replication can be demonstrated, despite undetectable blood plasma viral loads. 2. Not usually. 3. Yes, there are high sensitivity research only assays that get down to the 5-10 copy range. Sounds like you are doing great! Good luck.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Mouth Sores And Rapid Weight Loss A Sing Of Chemotherapy Treatment Or A Sign Of Hiv Aids?
- How Long Does Diflucan Take To Work?
- Does Having Tuberculosis Mean I Have Hiv?
- How Do You Tell If You Have Syphilis?
- How Long Does It Take To Get Rid Of Lipodystrophy?
- How Long Does Leukoplakia Last?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.