Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral load discrepancy
Mar 15, 2004

I am in two different blood studies, both using the same pcr test for viral load detection. One sample is spun down frozen and shipped to Covance and the other is done in house at Cedar's. The sample are taken in different types of testubes ( one empty and one with a stabilizer of some sort ) For one year I have shown >50 in one study ( the spun frozen sample) and after 16 months I am now nearly >50 ( 68 vl) in the original study. These are direct comarisons ( same sitting blood draw) I know that it is unusual to have this much information but now that the frequency of testing has slowed form every month to every 3 and 4 months respectivily I am in a bit of a quandry about which tests to rely on or if I should do an ocasional random bdna or something like to keep an eye on things? Also what are the proper/approved handeling requirements for samples?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I can't get a feel for what the actual numbers are to see how well the two samples are tracking each other.

Previous
RESISTANCE TO ALL MEDS
Next
Don't understand

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.