Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Stability of Blood Samples
Jan 18, 2004

When a blood sample for CD4+ or VL is taken, can increases in time of storage or shipment affect the results and in what direction? My physician never wants to take a blood sample on a Friday because it "will just sit around all weekend" implying a poor quality result. Do the anticoagulant/preservatives in blood/serum/plasma tubes deactivate the virus?

I have found one of your recent related publications:

Stability of plasma human immunodeficiency virus load in VACUTAINER PPT plasma preparation tubes during overnight shipment. Holodniy M; Rainen L; Herman S; Yen-Lieberman B. Journal of clinical microbiology [J Clin Microbiol] 2000 Jan; 38 (1), pp. 323-6.

Do you have additional longer term storage data on other than overnight storage/shipping?

What brings this to my mind is that the HIV virus is still active in stored samples and with the rate of replication, this (in my very foggy understanding of the relevant biology) may present a somewhat moving target to the clin lab assays. Add in the plasma concentrations and activity of HAART drugs and this (to me at least) becomes somewhat confounding in the interpretation of lab results and subsequent therapeutic decisions.

Perhaps all of this has already been studied and if not it may be the subject for your next study.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Very stooopid guy recently infected after a bad decision and on early HAART

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Nobody is going to do exhaustive studies on this topic. Labs work very hard to process samples in a timely fashion. Tolerance limits have been established and approved by the FDA on what constitutes an acceptable time for processing. If there are issues with sample handling then the test should be repeated on a fresh sample.

Previous
hiv1
Next
Why no adenosine analog NRTI?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.