Jan 18, 2004
hi what is the difference between hiv1 and hiv2, is there a hiv3 and etc? thanks
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV-1 and HIV-2 belong to a family of viruses called retroviruses. They are genetically and clinically distinct and require different tests in order to differentiate between them and confirm diagnosis. In the official naming game, there is no official HIV-3. In the old naming structure, the old name for HIV was HTLV III, but no longer.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Pain In Penis After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Urethra After Touching Used Condom Worried I Have
- Penis Discharge After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Thrush After Insertive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.