Jan 18, 2004
hi what is the difference between hiv1 and hiv2, is there a hiv3 and etc? thanks
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
HIV-1 and HIV-2 belong to a family of viruses called retroviruses. They are genetically and clinically distinct and require different tests in order to differentiate between them and confirm diagnosis. In the official naming game, there is no official HIV-3. In the old naming structure, the old name for HIV was HTLV III, but no longer.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Urine After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Drinking Water Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Sucking Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rash After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.