irrepairable??

Hello Doctor, I hope you are well! My partner has just received his latest blood test results, he has been on treatments for 3 months when the last bloods where taken 6 weeks ago. Before starting treatment his CD4-t cell count was 50 and his viral load >500,000 copies. Today he was told that his CD4-t cell count is 101 and his viral load is undetectable <50 copies. I appreciate this is good news in one respect but I am still so concerned over his low CD4 count, do thewse results effectivrly mean his CD4 count won't pass the 'danger-zone' of >200?? Is this irrepairable damage to his immune system? Could you honestly say hie could live another 20 years like this? He is on Septrim, Sustiva, Viread and Epivir Yours faithfully,

That is a great response viral response. The lower the CD4 count is when you start, the slower the rise. Thus, there will be a lag, but I predict that by 6 months the CD4 count should be 200 or more. There is some irrepairable damage, in that the immune system will never get back to 100% normal. But as long as meds are taken, there should be enough improvement in the immune system to keep him out of danger. It is difficult to determine prognosis out to 20 years.

B lymphocytes
Best time for a blood draw