Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Augmenting LDH and lungs
Jan 8, 2004

Hello. I have less than 50 CD4 and more than 150'000 viral load. Radiography as well as TAC present some white "stripes" in my lungs (causing dry coughing, 38' temperature since 2 months) but lung rinsing, blood analysis and blood cultures have had all negative results (on TBC, PCP, CMV, MAC, and all kind of infection, virus and fungus connected to HIV/AIDS). The only things found are the following: In three weeks my LDH has been 551 then 505 now 612. Consider that I have started HAART 10 days ago. Emoglobin has been 9,7 then 10,8 now still 10,8 (I am taking AZT which could cause/worsen anemia). PCR has augmented from 2 to 24. What do you think I should investigate further? My doctor told me that I don't need to do further enquiry (e.g. biopsy) because LDH and PCR could be a reaction to the HAART. Do you agree? Thank you for all the exceptional work you are doing. Dido

Response from Dr. Holodniy

HAART would not cause the LDH level to increase. Elevation of LDH is nonspecific and could be the result of some kind of infection or malignancy. It sounds like they ruled out most of the infectious possibilities. I would make sure they have looked for the possibility of malignancies, especially lymphoma.

Previous
health
Next
Viability of blood cells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.