Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

low cd4 percentage high cd8 percentage
Dec 28, 2003

I was diagnosed with HIV for a little over two months now. I am a 17 yr old 125 lb. guy 5'4". My doctor said I was fine but then I looked over my numbers and saw something odd. I realized that my cd4 percentage was at 27 (there was a reference: 28-59) and my cd8 was at 47(way above the "reference" of 10-35) I just want to know if that's normal. I have a pretty good t helper count/cumm at 786 and 815 (the two numbers? --results were taken a week apart). But I wonder if there is something I can do for myself like exercise certain vitamin supplements or something to raise my cd4 which sounds pretty low. other information u might want to know....wbc 6200/8200 lymph 47/37 lymph cumm 2914 3034 total cd3+ 80/80 total cd3+ cumm 2331/2427 tsuppress cumm 1369/1425 and my helper/supp ratio .57 (? this one looks low as well as compared to "reference" >=0.9). A wierd factor that my doc noticed was my viral load of <75, and he decided to take another shot at it and a result of 77 came about.(The time between this two tests was 2 weeks). My CBC came back all within the "reference" so i guess its normal but I jsut wanted to check out this certain set of details from my t-cell panel. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

First, your CD4 count and percentage is pretty much in the normal range. The elevated CD8 percentage, and I suspect absolute number, is elevated as a natural response to HIV infection. Because of the CD8 elevation, your CD4/CD8 ratio will be lower than someone who is uninfected. The difference in the two CD4 counts is negligible and essentially assay variability. Your viral load is very low positive and reflects your good immune system response (high CD4 and high CD8 counts) against the virus.

Previous
When LD Isoenzymes results are barely within normal and there are symptoms
Next
Increased sensitivity of a viral culture when CD8 cells are taken out

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.