Recent dramatic VL increase after 5 years meds free.

Hi Doc My numbers have averaged VL ~7000 and cd4s ~900 w/o meds for the past five years (I have heterozygous ccr5 mutation). Last April, I was exposed to hep C (had jaundice) and immediately went on therapy (peg-interferon and ribivirin). At beginning of therapy my VL was 124,000, cd4s 700 - (and they they thought VL high maybe because of hep c exposure). Hep c was undetectable after just one week and my natural killer cells did a "shock and awe campaign" by expanding massively according to the doctor, which she thought was impressive. During therapy my VL went down to 3600 and cd4s down to 350 - 500. Now, six weeks post- therapy my VL is 140,000 and cd4s are 500. What's up with that? Has hep c or treatement for it screwed up my good response to hiv? or is this hopefully just a transient rise? My hemoglobin went down to 10 and I'm still quite short of breath, so maybe my body is still recovering?

I'm pretty stressed out about this and can't see my doctor for five weeks, please respond. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot. Alex

PS - All my VLs were done at a very good reseach hospital, so I doubt they are wrong.

That viral load increase may be the result of interferon, particularly if you are not on HIV meds. Interferon acts like an activator of your immune system, and would also activate t cells including those infected with HIV to increase replication. I would expect it to come back down.

Too Much Of A Good Thing?
Please answer me this time!!!