Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV detection from routine labs?
Dec 5, 2003

I'm not quite sure if this should be adressed here but i have a question about HIV detection. I have my HgA1c tested every 3 months for type 1 diabetes and i am curious if my doctor could be informed by this test or a thyroid level test, if i am positive. In other words, do you have to have a specific HIV antibody test done to know for sure, or will HIV-related blood counts show up on a routine test as being off balance? I have been ever so curious about my status. I am a 19 year old female and i'm afraid to ask my doctor for the specific test to be done. I don't want him to think i am careless about my health in any way, since he's about to put me on an insulin pump(i think he would change his mind if he knew anything about this). I'm thinking about anonymous testing, and if i go this route, i want to find a friend to go with. but how do you go about asking someone to go be HIV tested with you?? -i don't think i could be tested alone. i had unprotected sex with an IV drug user back in june of 2003 and also i had protected sex with another, even more serious drug user in may of the same year.

As far as my health, I have been chronically tired for months and lately lost my appetite and started loosing weight (my weight has always been normal). this isn't due to the diabetes because i've been doing a remarkable job at keeping my blood sugars normalized. if my test, if/when i finally have it done, comes back positive, i know i will be understanding of the results. I've never met anyone who is positive, but if i did, i would accept them, always. So when my a1c test comes back in about a week, is there a chance that the lab technician could see an abnormality and alert my doctor that i could have HIV? thank you so very much for you help.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Those tests cannot determine HIV status. HIV specific testing must be performed.

Previous
labs and flu shot
Next
Fantastic Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.