Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Low Initial CD4 and VL

After diagnosis in 2001, my first labs showed a CD4 count of 128 and a viral load of around 2950. I would have thought that at that low a CD4 level, my viral load would have been higher. Do these numbers tell me anything about when I might have been infected? I thought that it would have taken some time (years) for the CD4 cells to fall to that level, but wouldn't my viral load have increased more in that time?

In most cases, given that CD4 count, the viral load would be higher. But numbers such as yours have been seen before. Dating infection, is quite difficult, but it is likely that you have had the infection for some time.

geno/pheno failure
Delta 32 gene