Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

low cd4 and high VL combined with epididymo-orchitis
Nov 16, 2003

Dear Dr Holodniy:

My x-husband lives in a different state than I and has had aids for about 3-4 years (I think). I've spoken with him on the phone and he sounds very ill. His counts are cd4 is 35 and his VL is 150,000. He has been fighting an infection in a testicle (which had to be surgically removed) and now the other is infected. I am trying to gauge how ill he is so I can try to prepare our son. There has been a recent weight loss of 35 lbs from 210 to 175 and he has just gotten social security disability. I just can't ask him if he is going to die yet I feel our son has a right to know if that is what is going to happen.

Thank you for any advice/thoughts on a sad situation

Response from Dr. Holodniy

This is a difficult question to answer. Many people can being doing fairly well in this kind of situation (given his numbers), if the ongoing infection is treatable. Without knowing the facts about HIV treatment, other ongoing medical problems, the extent of this ongoing infection, etc, one cannot determine a realistic prognosis.

Previous
CD4 Rise, Percentage Decline
Next
CD4+/CD45RO is high?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.