low cd4 and high VL combined with epididymo-orchitis

Dear Dr Holodniy:

My x-husband lives in a different state than I and has had aids for about 3-4 years (I think). I've spoken with him on the phone and he sounds very ill. His counts are cd4 is 35 and his VL is 150,000. He has been fighting an infection in a testicle (which had to be surgically removed) and now the other is infected. I am trying to gauge how ill he is so I can try to prepare our son. There has been a recent weight loss of 35 lbs from 210 to 175 and he has just gotten social security disability. I just can't ask him if he is going to die yet I feel our son has a right to know if that is what is going to happen.

Thank you for any advice/thoughts on a sad situation

This is a difficult question to answer. Many people can being doing fairly well in this kind of situation (given his numbers), if the ongoing infection is treatable. Without knowing the facts about HIV treatment, other ongoing medical problems, the extent of this ongoing infection, etc, one cannot determine a realistic prognosis.

CD4 Rise, Percentage Decline
CD4+/CD45RO is high?