CD4 & VL Baseline measurement

Hi, I was infected approx. Jan2000 and confirmed in Sept2000. I just had my initial blood counts and cd4=379 vl=43000. I'm wondering where do I go from here. Literature suggests that I will be advised to go on meds given the counts. I don't want to rush into it. Would it be wise to ask for more blood work to get a baseline comparison or can I assume the counts will only get worse? Also, I had the blood work daone Jan29 and had flu and Pnuemonia shots in early DEc2000. Would this possibly affect the counts? Please advise. Thank you for any help !!!

Although flu and pneumonia shots can affect viral load in those people not on treatment, it is unlikely that 5-8 weeks after those shots, viral load would be affected. It is usually much closer to the time of vaccination (within a 2-4 weeks, after which the viral load goes back down to baseline level). The current guidelines just released in February of this year, suggest that anyone with a CD4 count < 350 and viral load > 35-55,000, should start treatment. I would agree, you fall into this group. MH

400 and 50 cutoff PCR
Visual Changes in Early HIV Infection