Nov 9, 2003
Is it common for Liver Function Test levels to fluctuate? I was diagnosed with Acute HBV in early August (jaundice, HBsAG +, IGM Core +, HBeAG +, ALT 5000, AST 3000). My GI has ordered a LFT every two weeks and my ALT and AST have dropped to normal range recently but my last test showed a slight increase from my previous test two weeks ago (ALT has risen to 48 from 37). Note - I coverted from HBeAG + to - and HBeAB - to + in mid-September. I'm still waiting/hoping I will covert to HBsAB positive soon.
1) Is it common to see a rise in ALT levels this late in the recovery?
2) Does the 6 month marker for diagnosis of Chronic HBV begin at time that symptoms begin to show or at time ofinfection?
3) Is it common/possible to have a relapse of the "e" Antigen?
Your time is much appreciated.
| Response from Dr. Holodniy
1. I would not consider that increase of any significance. 2. Diagnosis can be as long as 6 months after infection. Some people develop signs and symptoms and lab evidence way before 6 months. 3. Possible, but unlikely.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Rash A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Swollen Lymph Glands Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- How Do You Know If You Have Coated Tongue?
- Black Spots After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Bronchitis After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Diarrhea After Swallowing Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.