Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ts-Hiv/hep.c
Nov 9, 2003

I am a transsexual woman and I have aids and Hep.C. The virus hasnt been detectable now for 2 years since I have been taking TRIZVIR. My T-cells are at approximatley 300. I am scheduled for my operation in May 2004. I have all the necessary papers from the experts and etc. My question is. What can I do before the operation to increase the count of my t-cells. Friends have suggested taking aloe vera, B 12 and lots of Zink. I am an american living in Germany and my operation will be here. I would be forever in your debt and truly appreciative for any tips you could give me. P.s. I stoped taking hormones a year ago due to Hep. C and my liver.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The suggested remedies you mention will not hurt you, but there are no controlled trials to determine if these things increase t cells. You don't indicate what your baseline CD4 count was prior to treatment. Judging from you current CD4 count after a couple of years of treatment, I suspect it was pretty low. The addition of HCV infection probably contributes to the fact that your CD4 count is not higher. Some people have advocated using interleukin 2 (IL-2), which is t cell growth factor. IL-2 can dramatically increase and sustain higher CD4 counts. Whether those CD4 cells are a functional as before is the subject of many ongoing studies.

Previous
Your Opinion re: Treatment during Acute Infection
Next
Easy ?(s)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.