CRP

Can you explain how "CRP" is used, together with cholesterol and other labs in the setting of HIV infection and antiretroviral medications? What does this mean with regard to longer term risk for cardiovascular disease?

My lab came back with cholesterol in the normal range but one time at 15.4 ("persistent elevations may represent non-cardiovascular inflamation") and five days later at 8.7 ("high cardiovascular risk"). I had a very stiff neck the first time; a viral load of 300 copies both times; and at both times I was taking ddi/3tc/sustiva/tenofovir.

Excellent question. However, I am not sure I have an answer for you. CRP is a nonspecific marker of inflammation. Some of the newer data using CRP to measure heart disease risk, was not obtained in HIV infected people. CRP can be elevated in many kinds of infections (including HIV) and other inflammatory conditions. I am not sure what your values represent.

my question
hiv blip?