Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VL Question
Oct 26, 2003

i started treatment in 1988. My ts were 315. I took all drugs available between 88 and 1999. My vl never got lower than 6000 and ts high was 500. I stopped all treatment in 99 because of resistance and bad lipo. At that time my ts were 350 and vl was 15000. During the next three years my ts stayed around 325 and vl bounce between 15000 and 75000 several times. At around the three year mark my vl went from 75000 to 75000 over a two month period. Had it checked again and it was not a fluke. So I started treatment a couple of months ago. Reyataz,videx ec,and emtriva. After one month my vl was at 1400 and ts still 320. Is it strange that my vl never got below 6000 on all the other pi combos? And is Vl just a number?By that I mean did my having an average vl of 50000 for three years do damage that I am not aware of? I have never been sick.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I believe you must have had HIV drug resistance to account for your viral load never getting below 6,000. The viral load is an important measure of treatment response (or lack thereof) and progression of disease. A viral load of 50,000 is significant, and means that there is significant viral replication going on and concomitant CD4 cell loss. If your viral load gets stuck again (i.e. doesn't become undetectable) then a resistance test is in order.

Previous
Descriptive question
Next
cd4 and V/L

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.