Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VL drops then climbs, CD4 slow rise
Oct 11, 2003

I started treatment last November after suffering a bout of pneumonia. My VL started at over 20,000 and my CD4 was 36. I saw a steady lowering my VL and very slow rise in CD4 until my September Labs.

My VL has risen from about 800 to over 1000, however my CD4 continues to climb slowly. (Currently 180)

My ID Doctor has sent in blood work to determine if the virus has become resistant to one of the three components of Trizivir. Should I be concerned with the upward climb in VL and the slow rise in CD4?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A rise from 800 to 1000 would not be considered significant. However, if you never got to undetectable (i.e. < 50 copies) and 800 was as low as you got, then resistance becomes a significant concern. In addition, new data from clinical trials, suggests, that trizivir alone, is probably not sufficiently potent to sustain reduced or undetectable viral loads.

Previous
spike in cd4
Next
Block gp120 on CD4 instead of attacking HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.