Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

"Alkiline phosphate" & "Gamma GT" results
Oct 6, 2003

Thankyou for supporting people with HIV/AIDS. I have a long history of over 10 years. I have never understood the complex results I obtain excluding ome knowledge of CD4/CD8 & the importance of their ratio's.

My question is in relation to a my last test results in which the 'biochem 1' showed (elvated) above normal 'Alckiline phosphate' ("alkph") & 'Gamma GT" ("ggt"). My physical examination with my doctor at the time of taking bloods he suspected suspected an "inflamed liver". My results showed elevated 'alkph' (191) & 'ggt' (51).

He told me it could be due to 1) gall stones/kidney stones ? & 2) one or more of my medications could be a further possibility.

I offered an alternative explanation for the results by disclosing that I have been a long term (heavy) 'dope' smoker & recently have been somking "pre-flushed" canabis leaf.

I know that the use of alcholine & phosphious chemicals are used for growing and perhaps the smoking of this 'imature early 'vegetative groth'("leaf") is another possibe explanation of my results.

I would like to ask you are these results 'significant' enought to be worry about some thing.

Could you explain to me the biochemical 'Alckiline phosphate' ("alkph") & 'Gamma GT" ("ggt") results & probability of my explanationn of the above results.

I am not experiencing any symptoms of having 'gall stones', or 'kidney stones' nor 'weight loss' or any sings of any illnes at all. My viral load has remained undetectable and my CD4 & CD8 continue to rise steadily. My doctor set a 8 week limit before a blood retest should be given - However, I contiue to smoke the 'imature' cannabis leaf.

Should I be overly-concerned about these results ?

What, if any would be the consequennces (long & short)term if these results continue at elevated levles.

Regards Mark

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Those numbers, although elevated, are not terribly high. You also don't indicate if other liver enzymes are also elevated. That would indicate more broader evidence of liver inflammation. I am not sure I would be too concerned if those are the only elevated numbers.

Previous
Taking Meds
Next
Reactive lymhocytes in blood smear

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.