Initial Lab Values
Oct 5, 2003
My partner was recently diagnosed with HIV. His initial lab values were: VL 10,000 and CD4 528. His pcp said that if she were him she would start on an antibiotic but suggests that he discuss that with the infectious disease doctor. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Most experts would not recommend starting HIV meds with those kinds of CD4 and VL counts. The immune system is still in pretty good shape. I am not sure what the antibiotic would be in this case. People with AIDS (<200 CD4 cells) require antibiotics to protect them from serious AIDS associated infections. That is NOT the case here.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Flu Symptoms After Open Mouth Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Herpes After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Condom Inside Out Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Does Sex Affect Cervical Dysplasia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.