Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 up, CD8 up, ratio lower
Sep 28, 2003

I've been diagnosed since 1999 and still off the med. Just start to check on my complete blood count last year, 3 times so far. I am taking just supplement Vitamins & Gingseng. CD4 is 442, 552, 612 respectively, though CD4 remains 13. CD8 is 2346 (69), 2645 (71) and 3484 (74). Therefore the CD4/CD8 ratio is very low, 0.18-0.19. Lymphocyte is 49-57 All other number in blood count in the normal range.

I am worried that there might be something wrong with CD8 and Lymphocyte numbers as they are way higher than normal. I have allergies since before infected, so I am regularly take Clarityn and other Antihestamine drugs. Can it be the explanation of this case? Thank you in advance.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Your CD4 count is relatively healthy, although the percentage is a bit lower than I would expect for a CD4 count in the 450-600 range. I would expect it in the 20-25% range. Your CD8 count is way up as a result of your immune system's response to HIV infection. This is to be expected. As you can see, the absolute counts, both CD4 and CD8, fluctuate more than the percentages, which are more stable numbers over time.

Previous
When to start meds
Next
3 sets of labs in 6 weeks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.