Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

antibody test vs. viral load
Sep 13, 2003

A little over one month ago, I was very ill with what my doctor called conversion illness (which included cryptosporidiosis). My antibody test was NEGATIVE, but they put me on meds anyway, and did a viral load test that came back over 100,000. I have been on meds since then. (Current VL is 80, CD4 988). I have not had another antibody test taken, so I have never had one that said positive. I recently told someone else about this, and they were shocked, and said that it sounded very sketchy and that I could not even be sure I was positive without an antibody test, and a viral load test should not have been taken until an antibody test comes back positive. They said a viral load test could have just shown virus because I was sick with something else, that everyone who is sick has a viral load of some sort. This worried me as to the credibility of my doctors, and made me wonder, again, the truth of my hiv status. This is all confusing enough as it is, and now this person is confusing me more. Can you please help me?? Is a viral load test a valid way of knowing I am positive, without ever getting an antibody-positive test to confirm it?? Thank you...

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A HIV-1 viral load test demonstrates you have circulating HIV in your blood and that you have HIV infection.

Previous
Recently Tested. Need Clarification
Next
Low Platelets; Time for Drugs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.