Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Plunge in CBC numbers
Sep 6, 2003

Dr. Holodniy,

My most recent, reconfirmed, CBC shows (compared to a month ago) a huge drop in Lymphocyte percent from 40 to 20 (normal being 20 to 50) and a drop in Lymph # from 3.2 to 1.7 (normal being 1.2 to 3.4). Monocytes are also way down.

The "GR" percent is way up, from 52 last month to 74 now (normal being 42 to 75).

Last month's CBC numbers are more the norm of what I have had, so this month's CBC is a big change and a bit of a shock. My questions, on which I would appreciate your advice are these:

a. Is the large drop in Lymph numbers within normal fluctuation or would it more usually signify a big increase in viral load and activity?

b. If my CD4 percent remains the same (at 30), am I correct, with a WBC of 8, that I would have had a drop in CD4 cells by 480 in one month (WBC's times Lymph times CD4 percent?)?! Is that possible? I will have a new T cell subset done, but your comments on whether a depressed Lymph and number in a CBC usually correlate to depressed CD4 counts would be appreciated.

c. What do "GR"'s (granulocytes?) do and what does a large increase mean? Is a high number of GR's relevant to the health of the immune system (like high CD4 counts would be)?

I will have another CBC in a month, but the numbers were run twice on this one and I would very much like to know the significance. How there could be so many large changes so quickly?

Many thanks for your advice and perspectives.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what your viral load level is or what the trend over time has been. Also, are there any other ongoing infections, active medical problems, or recent medication changes that might account for this change. The best thing to do is repeat the numbers. The granulocytes are important immune cells primarily involved in bacterial and fungal infections.

Previous
test results
Next
Hiv!Rise in cd4 count?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.