Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

recent infection.. vl over 200.000
Aug 24, 2003

Dear doctor, after testing positive in early june, i went to a hiv center. my first results were 560 T-Cells and 64000 VL, 10 days later another test with results 570 T-Cells and 210000 VL, another 10 days later 400 T-Cells and 270000 VL. my doctor put me on a regiment with Sustiva, Viread and VidexEC about a weak ago... he calls me a tricky patient... i have no symptoms except of pimples on my face, wich i never had before.. I am male, 27 y/o... these all makes me worried... is it possible that the lab results are wrong, does it happen a lot? is it a realisting jump/drop in t-cell count and VL which i experience.. I appreciate that...

al

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It's hard to know whether you were having an acute infection with HIV during that period, where the viral load was still going up and the t cells dropping, or you had been infected a while back, and you were having some other ongoing infection, which might drop your t cells and increase your viral load, or this might have been some lab variability. Viral load tests can vary by as much as 3 times in either direction. The CD4 number was very consistent between the first two readings and markedly different on the third, which is more than just natural variability, unless you were having some other infection going on.

Previous
CD4 percentage low?
Next
average rate of cd4 cell decline

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.