CD4 percentage low?

Dear Dr.

Thank you for this forum. I was dignosed with Hiv in 99, at that time I was very healthy. I have not been on meds for three years now and counts have been going down while Vl goes up. In Jan 2003 my cd4 percent was 21 now in Aug it is down to 15.5 my CD4 count was 320 and my VL is 73,000 two days ago I found out I have Herpes Keratitis in my eye. This is my first opportunistic infection. Three weeks ago I was hospitilized for viral meningitis. My doctor is telling me its still safe to stay of meds and keep an eye on my CD4, He says they don,t use the percent as a factor as much as the CD4 count. I am worried and think I need to be on meds. What is your opinion please? Thank you in advance for any response you can give.

You are now in the zone where many practitioners (myself included) would recommend starting treatment. The recommendations just changed slightly, but still strongly recommend starting treatment when the CD4 count is < 350 and the viral load is > 50,000. These recent infections are a warning sign for you. You can read more at the following site: http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/. Look under the adult treatment guidelines to see the evidence behind these treatment recommendations.

HBV & HCV
recent infection.. vl over 200.000