Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Plateles down , viral load and cd4 normal
Aug 16, 2003

2 years are gone since I was infected with HIVirus. I suffer a HIV neuropathy but viral load is stable 6 - 16.000 and cd4 over 600 without treatment. Now my platelet count is down to 51.000 without haemorrages ( except a post-trauma left elbow hematoma). My doctor sugests to repeat in 1-2 months because it may be transitory . But I'm worried. Meanwhile Can they still go down? Does it has a treatment? Why not to do it now? Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Decreased platelet counts occur fairly commonly with HIV infection. This may be due to the viral infection itself, other diseases, chronic high alcohol consumption, or to HIV meds. A count 50,000 usually does not result in bleeding. Significant bleeding usually occurs when the count is < 10,000. There is probably not much need to do anything at this point. If the trend continues down, HIV meds may help, or other meds (steroids, IV gammglobulin), or splenctomy (takin the spleen out) may be required.

Previous
Globulins levels
Next
High ALT enzyme level

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.