Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CURIOUS
Aug 10, 2003

i have a question i was diagnosed in feb 2003 my viral load was 39,000 and cd4 was 360 and my doctor started me on combivar and viramune but had to take me off because side effects and started me on trizivir and my cd4 now if 550 and viral load is<400 what exactly does <400 mean what exactly are the numbers now and is trizivir alone a good treatmen plan your response is greatly appreciated thank you.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A < 400 viral load is a very good thing and demonstrates you have had a very good treatment response. It may be important to have an ultrasensitive viral load test performed, which has a lower limit of < 50 copies/ml. The reason I say that is recent data suggests that trizivir alone may not be an appropriate regimen, because there have been more failures with this regimen alone, then when two class regimens are used (like you were on at the beginning). If your viral load is < 50 now, you might be able to continue with trizivir alone. However, if your viral load is between 50-400, you need to intensify (add something to this regimen) or change it.

Previous
professional advice
Next
truth?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.